The checkout chick at Woolworths pulled a pen from out of her hair for me to sign the credit card slip. She looked clean enough but the pen felt all slippery. I don’t even want to know…
(Young) women drivers
Is it just me, or do 25 year old girls in small Japanese and Korean cars drive worse than 18 year old boys in rusty V8s?
Ouch – fortunately not my ouch
I went to the LBS today for my free warranty tune-up on the recently rebuilt wheel. I hadn’t been for a while and had missed all the excitement. It was the owners first day back at work after a week in hospital. I don’t understand the motivation for some people. This guy has finished several full length Ironman triathlons, all under 10 hours. He still does triathlons, but to build leg power for accelerating away from turn-around points in the bike ride, he races BMX. A bit over a week ago he was at the track for a club training night and mistimed a triple. When the dust settled, he had broken his humerus, scapula, clavicle and 3 ribs. At the shop today he was shaking, apparently suffering withdrawal as he has gone from morphine last week to pethidine on the weekend to codeine yesterday.
It’s over (for a month)
The last 2 weeks have been a shocker for me. Three final exams and two 2000 word essays.
– The first exam sucked. Actually, the exam was about what it should have been. I sucked.
– Then an essay. I sent an email to the lecturer apologising for the quality. It was actually a great essay, well structured, well referenced, just lacking the bit where I didn’t address the assessment topic.
– Then another exam. I ran out of questions to answer and left an hour and 20 minutes after the start of a 3 hour sitting.
– On the night of the exam I started feeling a bit poorly. Apparently you get that way when bacteria start nesting in your sinuses.
– Followed by another 2000 word essay. I got an extension over the weekend for this sucker because of the illness and yet with an extra 4 days I still waited until the night before it was due to start. My wife hates me now – she resents the fact that when she proof read my 2071 word essay that was a blank page 5 hours earlier, she corrected it with 2 apostrophes and a hyphen.
– Finally the last exam. A laboratory based 1 hour quiz for the same sucky subject as the first exam. In the 11 days since the first exam this subject had not improved at all. Neither had my knowledge of the material.
It starts again (in 32 days)
I got my book list today for next semester. It was almost like winning the lottery. My 4 subjects require a book each and they retail for a total of $285.00. That’s over $120 dollars less than any of the previous semesters. I’m excited.
The vultures are circling
I got a nice little letter from the agent we rent our house from. They want access next week to do a “duty of care” inspection. They have to make sure we’re not trashing the place. We’re a family of 2 adults with 3 part time jobs, both studying full time and raising 3 primary school age children. I hope their expectations don’t extend beyond the walls and roof being a similar shape to when we were handed the keys 18 months ago.
In the meantime
I’ve got 32 days to relax and re-invigorate myself. I have a 5 point plan for maximising my holiday time. I’m going to:
- work a little bit
- go to the movies with my wife
- play golf with my sons
- teach my daughter to throw rocks at the neighbours cat and
- ride my bike.
Never underestimate the power of the eyebrow. – Jack Black